Rollerball Pen | Red Flame Box Elder Burl Wood | Black Titanium
Handmade rollerball pen by the artisan owner features natural red flame box elder burl wood and black titanium finish.
- natural red flame box elder burl wood
- burl wood is resin impregnated (stabilized) for stability
- black titanium plated visible metal components
- black Schmidt rollerball refill
- cap is postable while writing
- includes presentation box
- approximately 5.2" long and .6" diameter
To Learn More
Burl wood is difficult to turn because of its convoluted grain and tendency to fracture. Burl wood for small turnings like pens generally survives the process better if first stabilized. During stabilization, resin is drawn into the wood structure while under vacuum. The resin is cured with heat and imparts strength and density to the wood.
The red flame color of this wood is natural. Although I've read different ideas on what causes the stain, my belief is the tree’s natural defenses produce the compound as defense against a colonizing fungus.
Box elder is native to North America.